I kind of went crazy with the soups this week… Mostly because my throat’s been a bit sore for the last few days. This one actually didn’t help too much with that due to the spice from the curry and jalapeño! Oops :)
Improv Score: 4/5
Curry Lentil, Pepper, and Bacon Seitan Soup
1 package of Bacon Seitan (sliced into 1-2 inch strips)
1 cup dry lentils
5 oz spinach (roughly chopped)
1/2 green bell pepper (chopped)
1 jalapeño (chopped small)
1 celery stalk (sliced thinly)
1/2 cucumber (diced)
6 grape tomatoes (quartered)
2 cloves of garlic (chopped)
a pinch of onion powder
a pinch of dried ginger
salt & pepper
4 cups vegetable broth
4 cups water
2 tbsp olive oil
- In a very large saucepan or dutch oven, warm oil on medium heat and saute garlic for about 30 seconds or until the scent has been released.
- Add green pepper and jalapeño to the pan and saute for 3-5 minutes or until softened.
- Add celery and cucumber to the pan and saute 2-3 minutes more until softened.
- Stir in broth and water, lentils, and spices to taste. How much curry do you like? Bring to a simmer and cook 20-30 minutes until lentils are soft.
- Meanwhile, prepare the bacon seitan as the packaging instructs. Set aside.
- Once lentils are softened, add bacon seitan, spinach, and tomatoes to the soup and simmer until spinach is wilted.
- Adjust seasoning throughout cooking by adding more spices, additional veggie bouillon, and olive oil.